Celebrating the “I” in IARSLCE: Researching Engagement Across Borders
October 23-25, 2019
Hotel Albuquerque Old Town, Albuquerque, NM
The conference theme is intended to encourage thoughtful intercultural dialogue about research and research-informed practice for the benefit of diverse stakeholders across an expansive SLCE community. Questions that arise from an emphasis on international engagement include:
- How is service learning and community engagement implemented in different parts of the world?
- What is the nature and scope of SLCE engagement across borders, and how are such borders defined (and by whom)? Are there clear benefits to this kind of engagement? What are the potential or actual risks?
- How does research inform best practices for preparing students, higher education professionals and community practitioners to engage in reciprocal and equitable relationships with international communities? How do we know that these relationships are reciprocal and equitable?
- How does international engagement impact student learning? Can similar learning goals be achieved locally with international communities?
- How does the SLCE field engage with international issues that have local impact and with local issues that have international impact, such as refugee populations and immigration? What are the international implications of seemingly local issues, like environmental equity and civil rights?
- Fundamentally: how does research inform engagement across borders? Likewise, how can global SLCE practices shape research agendas?
THE DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS HAS PASSED AND WE ARE LONGER ACCEPTING NEW PROPOSALS FOR 2019.
Please click here for full Call for Proposals
Please click here for proposal review criteria
Proposals are currently under review. Reviewers – please click here for more information regarding the review process.
Conference registration will open in late Spring. Registration rates will be:
- Regular: $425 early bird; $475 regular; $500 late registration
- Student: $350
- Pre-conference sessions: $70
IARSLCE has negotiated a discounted rate for the Hotel Albuquerque Old Town ($169/night) and the adjacent Hotel Chaco ($199/night) for conference attendeees. To make a reservation, please follow the links below or call the hotel directly at 866-505-7829 and ask for reservations.
Conference Content Committee
Conference Content Committee Chair, IARSLCE Board of Directors
Susan Harris, University of Southern California
Conference Planning Committee
Christian Cook, Mt. Royal University
Stephen Chan, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Thomas Dahan, Rutgers University-Camden
Lis Fornaro, Temple University
Marjori Krebs, University of New Mexico
Drew Pearl, University of Alabama
Sandra Sgoutas-Emch, University of San Diego
Alan Steinberg, Rice University
Benjamin Trager, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Nicole Webster, Penn State University